Friday, May 2, 2008

Don't try this at home

It all started rather innocently with this
(the man not the peanuts)

and this

and some how turned into this
Allow me to explain. My darling dearest is a full grown man. Now those of you with men of your own know there is NO SUCH THING but we humor them because we're not always so grown up ourselves. Well Jarell has a particular love of all things Spongebob Squarepants and as I've grown to be able to tolerate this character over the years, I take advantage of the fact that this gives me an edge on the present buying situation. I know if its Spongebob he'll like it and find a home or use for it quickly. Well two years ago at Christmas time I thought I'd get ambitious and make him a sheet with some SB fabric I had gotten in a very large amount for a steal at Wal Mart. Alas due to unresolvable issues with my old sewing machine (it only wanted to sew backwards at first and when I told this wouldn't do it walked out on the job) the sheet never got farther than having two lengths of 45" fabric sewn together side by side to make a 90" ish wide single piece. Fast forward two years to the garage sale preparation when I find this wonderful fabric and an old pattern for a sewing for dummies make your own slip cover. I started to get an idea. More just passing random thoughts. And then I put it into words.

Me: Hey honey what would you think if I covered that ugly green couch in your game room with that spongebob fabric.

Jarell: That would be really cool!

Me: I think I should probably have enough and if I don't I can always use coordinating fabrics for some of it like the cushions or something.

Jarell: That thing is really ugly. That would be great.

That was two days ago. So this evening while waiting for him to get home so we could go grocery shopping, I sat down and instead of finishing the garage sale signs I started measuring and pinning and before I knew it I had the fabric all ready for the base and was ready to start sewing it on the machine. I had some great illustrations but Blogger doesn't seem to be in the mood for pictures tonight so I'll have to try again later. Suffice it to say that by the time I finished sewing one arm I asked my husband "Have you told me lately how much you love me?" Of course he didn't see me wrestling with the machine and so all he saw was the rather unimpressive not so finished product. "Uh I don't know should I?"
Oh yes my love you Should. You REALLY should. And then would you please have me committed. A warning to the wise: Do NOT try this at home. Save yourself the heart and back ache and buy it. Or if you're still set on that homemade custom fit, pay someone else dumber than you to do it. This is a job for professionals.

*no couches were harmed in the making of this slip cover

No comments: